zondag 1 augustus 2010

Tribute to amazing Rene Gruau,one of the mostly great fashion illustrator ever!

Hi,my dearies!-)* I am not ready yet to share with you some ideas of my new progect,I am sorry...

But I would love to tell you what inspire me and what keeps me creative***

I love Renee Gruau's beautiful illustrations! Such a gorgeous confident hand, those drawings have.

                                                                        ***
You could almost call his drawings 'high calligraphy' expanding on the victorian artform. Born in Rimini, Italy on February 4th 1909 to an aristroctratic father and legendary french beauty mother -he was christened Renato Conte de Savagli-Ricardelli. He had to support his mother after his father left them at age 15 and so abandoned his given name and took his mother's last name, Gruau as an act of revenge ( and also because it was shorter! ). Early in his career he came upon what would become a signature when in signing a piece a huge ink blot escaped his pen onto a finished drawing! He worked with it and called it his lucky star and kept it his entire life.                               ***
***
                                                                        ***
After a brief stint in fashion design in London in the 1930's -he soon started his career as a fashion illustrator in Paris for all the major magazines ( back when photography wasn't the staple it has become today ). He befriended Dior and actually encouraged him to start his own fashion house in 1947. He later became the primary illustrator for Dior and would do the illustrations for their perfume campaigns until the early 90s! After fashion magazines moved to photography for their fashion spreads, Gruau found his niche market in advertising -creating glamorous drawings that would leave readers lusting after the products they depicted!

                                                                         ***

                                                                 ***
Gruau passed away on March 31, in 2004 at the age of 95. While there have been several expositions of his work and many of his original drawings hang in prestigious museums, there is little published about his life or his work and he's not even on Wikipedia!!

                                                               ***

Wish all of you my beauties just absolutely fabulous sunday:-)*

You know...today is the 1 AUGUST,oh,oh,oh...
***
 P.S.
And the next post will be my own creations,I would like sharing with you something of my work,as believed!
                                                                         ***
                                         LOVE to all of you,my dearest Friends!!!
                                                                  ***Violetta***

21 opmerkingen:

lorenabr zei

Lovely as always :)

georgia~gigi zei

Hey Violetta! Happy 1st of August :)
What an interesting post, story and history!
95 years wow, God Bless him!
I so look forward to seeing your next beautiful creations!
Big Smoochies
gi gi

Susie Jefferson zei

Stunning drawings, and a fascinating biography - thanks so much for that! Stuff I never knew...

Can't wait to see your new secret project - I know it's going to be beautiful beyond belief.

Thanks so much for the birthday wishes, made my day! Love & hugs from London

Paris Pastry zei

Wow! His sketches are stunning! I adore the lingerie, the colors; magnifique! I can see why he inspires you. Good luck on your project Violetta!

SPLENDEROSA zei

Hello my precious friend, I know I've been gone too long. These illustrations are fabulous & I didn't know of his work, so thank you for making my Sunday brighter. Little Archer is doing very well. Everyone else is tired. I have some travelling to do in August & September, visiting friends, having fun (finally) & I will be so happy to see what you have planned with your work. Teresa is still not settled (the entire USA is afraid to do anything which requires spending $$), & is going to San Francisco today to look around there. Sending love, darling Violetta. I love this post!! xxooxx's X100

Couture Carrie zei

Absolutely gorgeous illustrations!
Especially loving the one with the green hair!

xoxox,
CC

Viktoria Kovtun zei

beautiful sketches!! hes amazing! 95 I believe? Such long time! and I cant wait to see your personal sketches! Have a lovely week! :)

Ellen zei

what amazing sketches! and the dresses are so beautiful and romantic. if i ever get married i will have to remember this blog

Wanda Lee zei

Dearest,

What a lovely tribute! His art and design illustrations are beyond fabuolus!

Thanks so much for sharing them my lovely lady!


I also want to most warmly invite you to once again partake with, visit and grace our little corner of 'Tuesday And Wednesday Teatime In Blogland'..,I miss you!

Please do feel most welcome to visit our little shared meme that I am delighted to share with my dear friend Pam @ http://breathoffresh
air-paperbutterfly.blogspot.com

..,and also my little bit @ http://silkenpurse.blogspot.com for our 14th, 'Teapots And Tea Things Tuesday'!..,(*This week's theme is cherry desserts~yum)!

~There is also my 42nd, 'Tuesday Tea For Two' blog tea party and the 33rd, 'Wednesday Tea For Me and Thee' to be held @ http://theplumedpen.blogspot.com

We would simply love to have you join in the teatime fun!..,

As I often say; the more tea parties in blogland, the better!

Have a marvelous week dear, 'Violetta'!

Cheers and hugs from Wanda Lee

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE zei

Oh Violetta he is my most favorite fashion illustrator ever! I have calendars and note books covered in his illustrations as well as a few books. Thank you so much for sharing his work here. He is such an inspiration.

Hope you're having a lovely week! xoxo

shari @ little blue deer zei

So amazing, and you know, it just goes to show that art is timeless, these sketches from the 30s and 40s would fit in just as well today! Lovely stuff! XO!

Rachel {Inspiration in Italy} zei

Hello my beautiful friend!

WOW, these illustrations are so stunning, completely inspiring! They exude elegance, glam, beauty, sensuality, and just amazing art. I can't believe it is August already! I am so excited to see your beautiful creations...you are incredible talented!!! Wishing you a happy week!!!


Rachel

its simple love zei

WOW. The the drawings are stunning. Holy cow.

Rachael

p.s. Be sure to check my giveaway when you get the chance.

Sue Jack zei

My Dear Violetta!

I so enjoyed reading this post on Gruau....my favorite illustrator of all!

When my husband and I were in Paris in 1994, we were in an art gallery that was selling two of his original prints from the 50's....they were only $3600 USD then, and it is one of my biggest regrets that I did not purchase one of them at that time!

I am so looking forward to seeing your newest creation....do share as soon as possible, Doll!

Sue

v [ hobovogue ] zei

these hand drawings are really beautiful. love the sketches and especially the coloring on the one with the hat & flowers.


<33 [v] hobovogue

Rachel {Inspiration in Italy} zei

PS. I have an award for you on my blog! You are an incredible inspiration to me!! xoxo

My Grama's Soul zei

Oh Violetta thank you for sharing this info about this great designer.

95, huh, he must have really loved his work to have lived to such a ripe old age. (O:(O:

Can't wait to see your new things.

Xo

Jo

Kat zei

i'm one of his biggest fans, his work is soooooo inspiring! and i love his style and technique!

FASHION ICE zei

stunning! come follow me xoxo

Holly zei

I was a designer for many years and still love to sketch and draw. These are so beautiful. I could look at them all day!
Thanks for linking to Tickled Pink a couple weeks ago...I took a little (unexpected break) but I am back!
Holly
504 Main

Mademoiselle Frou-Frou zei

hi violetta dear!
i love rene gruau...i actually used one of his paintings in my recent inspiration board post! love this post...so many beautiful pictures.
xoxo alison